Wednesday, July 23, 2014

CONNECTIVISM

 
 

“Learning is the creation and removal of connections between the
entities, or the adjustment of the strengths of those
connections. A learning theory is, literally, a theory describing
how these connections are created or adjusted.”
 

                                                      ~  Stephen Downes
                                                                         (http://www.connectivism.ca/)
 

“According to Baker (2012), “Defining connectivism isn’t really hard to do.  Simply sit down at your computer and share – something, anything – with someone else.  One word, share.”  I grew up assisting my father by typing various computer programs for him as he wrote the code.  I bought my first home computer in 1994 and was amazed at what I could do with it.  I had a lot of fun incorporating the living books available at the time as well as accessing the internet for the first time.  I remember the dial-up speed that I thought was so great then but now realize just how slow it actually was. 
 

This being said, it still amazes me how my learning network has changed over the years.  How has my network changed the way I learn?  I went from completing all of my paperwork for my licensed home child care in paper form and asking questions via the land based phone to having the ability to ask questions via email or through social media such as Facebook or Twitter.  If I need to do research for a project all I have to do is go to the university library or other scholarly sites on line.  I no longer need to get into my vehicle and drive to the local library.  I also am able to use a lot of various technologies in my everyday curriculum with the children enrolled in my child care.  If I have a question or am in need of further information – all I have to do is send an email, log into a website for live help, use blogs or wikis.  The list is always changing depending on the day and what I am doing that particular day with the children or with my own studies.  My favorite tools at this moment that best facilitate learning for me are listed in my mind map photo above.  These tools can change day-by-day as my educational journey continues along with my everyday life as a business owner and foster parent.
 

References
 

Baker, Thomas (2012-02-20).  Connectivism for EFL teachers: A theory of learning for a digital

          age (Kindle Location 91).  Kindle Edition.
 

Connectivism. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.connectivism.ca/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blogs I commented on were:

anitaboseman.wordpress.com
travalper.blogspot.com

 

 



4 comments:

  1. Second time posting, the first attempt did not show:
    Although I was not an avid reader, I loved going to libraries especially when I had research assignments. Being a social learner though, I always wanted to have people around. Our libraries had a group study section and that was the best spot for me in the library. I was always interested in what others know about what I am trying to learn and see learning in a network crucial.
    Besides many perks that technology provides it is taking away from us in certain aspects. Physical libraries for instance lost their popularities after the prevalence of PCs at home. People choose to do their research at home sitting behind the computer. On one hand it is unhealthy (Dietz, 1983) because it limits walking and secondly it affects socialization negatively as we no longer have the chance to meet someone on our way to or at the library.

    Dietz, W. H. (1983). Childhood obesity: Susceptibility, cause, and management. Journal of Pediatrics, 103(5), 676-686.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin:

    I have no idea what happened to my comment to your blog, but it is not showing, so let’s try this again. I am glad I checked it!

    I found your Mind Map to be very complete and informative. The breadth of your use of social networking sites, your personal and academic learning networks, and those used for your professional and business needs are very impressive. I especially like the academic networks and your use of YouTube and Wikispaces. It seems amazing that only a few years ago, we did not have so many things to help us in our learning.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita,
    You stated, " I no longer need to get into my vehicle and drive to the local library". With that being said, how do you view the word in about another thirty to fifty years from now? How do you feel about the advancement of technology and antisocial, are they connected?

    ReplyDelete